G. H. Cole Sonafrank
3860 Azurite Drive, P.O. Box 178, Ester, AK 99725
907-474-8831 (h), 907-474-7277 (w),
Computer Resource Center (CRC),
- Full supervisory responsibility for fifteen computer professionals in the CRC
- Full administrative and fiscal responsibility for CRC resources, including the GI's network infrastructure
- Managing a full range of coordinated, efficient, and effective computing, communication, and information management services the CRC provides the Geophysical Institute, International Arctic Research Center and other UAF clients on a cost recovery basis. These services include network, system and security management, hardware maintenance and repair, application and system programming, Web site development, database design and implementation, data entry, training, and more.
- Lead Webweaver and project leader for developing the GI's Internet presence
and Intranet services for three years.
Senior Systems Analyst,
- Managed the
Seismological Computing Facility
composed of Masscomp Real-Time Unix Systems, Sun workstations and associated peripheral equipment.
- Was responsible for hardware and software specification and procurement to meet the needs of a rapidly growing group and supporting the establishment of the Alaska Volcano Observatory and the Alaska Earthquake Information Center interagency cooperative programs.
- Performed extensive software engineering (wrote over 31,000 lines of code, mostly in C, and the C and Bourne shells) specializing in real-time and TCP/IP-based distributed network system development.
Data Processing Assistant,
- Wrote and/or converted modified, tested, debugged and documented many major (5,000+ line) scientific application programs (mostly in FORTRAN).
- Created more than 1000 well documented, user oriented system utilities and scientific application programs (mostly in FORTRAN and DEC Command Language).
- Organized, maintained and managed the accounts, software and databases used by the Seismology group including more than 3,000 programs, 12,000 files and 200 tapes.
Assistant Node Supervisor, University of Alaska Computer Network, 1977
- Wrote and edited documentation, provided consultation and gave public seminars.
Other Professional Activities:
- Geophysical Institute Finance Committee, 1994-present
- Geophysical Institute Staff Council, 1994-present
- Geophysical Institute Computer Advisory Committee, 1983-present
- Geophysical Institute Representative on UAF Staff Council and Delegate to UAF Governance Constitutional Convention, 1987-1988
Fairbanks North Star Borough
(FNSB) Assembly Member, 1996-1999
FNSB Planning Commissioner, 1990-1996, Chair in 1996
- Elected representative to this non-partisan local legislative governing body by area-wide election.
- Served as Chair of the Assembly's Finance Committee that reviews all aspects of Borough finances and has significant responsibility in crafting the overall budget.
- Represented the Assembly on the Alaska Municipal League's Legislative Finance Committee, 1998-1999
- Represented the Assembly on the
FNSB Economic Development Commission, 1999
Member of the Ester Volunteer Fire Department's Board of Directors
- Totally apolitical and impartial commission handling public hearings, analysis, and decisions to resolve complex issues involving diverse, conflicting viewpoints directly impacting peoples lives
Alaska state delegate to the League of Women Voters 1996 national convention
- Served as President, Treasurer, and Secretary
Member of the Greater Fairbanks Chamber of Commerce since 1993
- Active LWV member since 1993
- BA Economics
with minor in Computer Science,
- Over fifteen weeks of Sun, Sybase, Masscomp, and DEC technical courses, 1984-present
- Attended the UAF supervisory development seminar series in 1997
- A few American Management Association professional development courses including time management and supervisory skills, 1995-present
- Systematic Development of Informed Consent course - Hans Bleiker's Institute for Participatory Management and Planning, 1991
- Resident of Fairbanks and Ester since 1976
- Happily married to Nancy Sonafrank since 1979. Our daughter Colette graduated from West Valley High School
and presently attends
Oberlin College. Our son Eli attends West Valley.
- Primary hobbies are artistic, including
stained glass, mosaics,
painting, woodworking, and jewelry.
- Male, born in 1959, and am in good health.
- Many available on request